DRAFT REPORT OF THE NIESV PRESIDENTIAL COMMITTEE ON THE REVIEW OF SCALE OF PROFESSIONAL CHARGES FOR PROFESSIONAL ESTATE SURVEYING AND VALUATION SERVICES OF NOVEMBER 2014
Dear Noble Colleagues,
As part of our effort toward caring for the welfare of our teeming members, one of the tools that cause the bane of internal rancor among members is the issue of our professional scale, which many have found unrealistic in our present day economic realities and in terms of best practice all over the world.
After serious arguments and various submissions, we found it necessary to constitute a committee to work on a scale of professional charges that would be embraced by all and will provide a level playing field for all members in both private and public sector job biddings.
Dear Noble Colleagues, as part of the recommendations of the Committee, therefore we hereby present their findings and proposal to you for your comments and likely critique to lay to rest the issues arising from our Professional scale. My noble colleagues, please note that this proposal is not cast in stone as we are on a quest to get the best for us all. Your input is therefore meant to improve the quality of this committee’s effort. Afterall, in the multitude of counselors, there is safety, as the Bible says.
I wish to use this opportunity to thank members of the committee for their doggedness and passion for our dear institution, we salute your courage, Noble colleagues.
We hereby present the report as follows:
DRAFT REPORT OF THE NIESV PRESIDENTIAL COMMITTEE ON THE REVIEW OF SCALE OF PROFESSIONAL CHARGES FOR PROFESSIONAL ESTATE SURVEYING AND VALUATION SERVICES
The mandate of the Committee as explained by the NIESV President is specifically to review the said Scale of Professional Charges in line with contemporary realities in Nigeria and consistent with global best practice.
2.0 METHODOLOGY OF WORK 2.1 Sourcing for Inputs and Materials
To facilitate its work the Committee through its members reached out to Noble Colleagues within the Town and Gown arms of the Professional Estate Surveying and Valuation family for inputs and materials. The Committee also reached out to other professional bodies and groups within and outside Nigeria to form a reliable basis for comparison and ensure realistic remuneration for the practicing Estate Surveyor and Valuer at all levels.
The combination of these efforts yielded inputs and materials which served as useful guide for the work of the Committee from following sources:-
1. NIESV Scale of Charges of 2001, 2009 and 2014.
2. Nigerian Bar Association (NBA)
3. Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN)
4. Nigerian Institute of Architects (NIA)
5. Nigerian Institute of Builders (NIOB)
6. Nigerian Institution of Surveyors (NIS)
7. Nigerian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (NIQS)
8. Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (NITP)
9. Computer Professionals Registration Council of Nigeria
10. Professional Scale of Fees for Consultants in the Construction Industry (April 1996)
11. Public Procurement Act (PPA) 2007
12. Development Network Africa on Fees Charged by South African Professionals.
13. Construction Industry Development Board of South Africa
14. South African Department of Public Service and Administration.
15. Engineering Council of South Africa.
16. The South African Council for the Quantity Surveying Profession
17. The South African Council for the Architectural Profession.
18. The South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions.
19. South African Guideline Tariff of Fees.
20. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences.
21. The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
22. Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).
23. Bank of Ireland Mortgage Bank
24. Harvard Business Review.
25. American Bar Association’s Model Code of Professional Responsibility.
26. Alliance of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers of USA.
27. UCLA School of Law Research Paper.
28. California Medical Association.
29. Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka.
ESV. Dr. B. J. Patunola - Ajayi (FNIVS, FRICS, Thd) President